Keep learning outside the classroom with your smartphone!
With our smartphones, we can carry the entire English language around with us in our pocket, wherever we go. Many of us now have instant access to new vocabulary through music, video, games, social media, and language learning apps.
A new wave of apps have launched specifically to help students with smartphones to access more structured and comprehensive learning experiences outside of the classroom. Here are 5 essential apps from Oxford University Press that you need to download!
- Say It: English Pronunciation – Hear the Oxford English model, see the soundwave, then record and compare your pronunciation. This app comes with 100 free British English words, 4 tests and 12 sounds, taken from the best-selling English File course and Oxford’s dictionaries. It’s quick, effective, and fun to use.
- LingoKids – A learning app for students from 2 to 8 years of age, for learning English in a fun and playful way. In LingoKids you’ll find the best English songs for children, the most fun videos with its characters, audiobooks, and printable worksheets for each topic, interactive exercises, and an endless supply of activities to learn over 3,000 words in English. If you’re using Mouse and Me, Jump in! or Show and Tell, you can access course content on the app using your coursebook!
- Oxford Collocations Dictionary – Need to improve your accuracy and fluency? This app is perfect. It helps you to express your ideas naturally and convincingly whether spoken or written. The Oxford Collocations Dictionary has over 250,000 word combinations, all based on analysis of the Oxford English Corpus.
- Oxford Advanced Learner’s Dictionary – a digitised edition of the Oxford Advanced Learner’s dictionary that has already helped 100 million English language learners worldwide. This app shows you what words mean, how they sound, and how to use them in example sentences.
- Practical English Usage – Practical English Usage is a world bestseller and a vital reference tool that helps higher-level learners with common language problems in English. Practical English Usage Fourth Edition is now available as an app, making it quicker and easier to look up the 600+ entries!
Coming soon for Android and iOS devices.
Extra apps to try out.
- TinyTap – TinyTap offers the world’s largest collection of educational games, all handmade by teachers. If you can’t find what you’re looking for… create it yourself! On TinyTap, anyone can turn their ideas into educational games (without having to code) and share them with the world.
- Google Expeditions – This is a virtual reality teaching tool that lets you lead or join immersive virtual trips all over the world — get up close with historical landmarks, dive underwater with sharks, even visit outer space! Instant, personalised audio-visual feedback tells you precisely where you need to improve.