Non-renewable energy is energy that cannot be replaced after use such as fossil fuels or natural resources (i.e. gas or oil). Do you know words related to non-renewable energy?
Fill the gap in each sentence with one word or expression from the box. Look up the words in Oxford Learner’s Dictionaries and use the information in the entry to help you.
1. When ____________, like coal and oil, are burned to produce energy, they create greenhouse gases.Click here to reveal the answer.
2. The UK extracts _________, and some oil, from the North Sea.Click here to reveal the answer.
3. There is a _______________ located near the town, which causes air pollution.Click here to reveal the answer.
4. Several companies are drilling for ___________ in the region.Click here to reveal the answer.
5. If more people installed solar panels, they would use less _____________ from non-renewable sources like coal.Click here to reveal the answer.
6. Burning coal to generate ______________ produces far more carbon dioxide than other fossil fuels.Click here to reveal the answer.
7. The aim is to eliminate carbon pollution from the ______________ industry by 2050.Click here to reveal the answer.
8. ______________ does not produce carbon dioxide but it does produce radioactive waste.Click here to reveal the answer.
9. At the height of the Industrial Revolution, vast numbers of people spent their lives working in factories and ___________ mines.Click here to reveal the answer.
10.__________ and diesel fumes pollute the environment and contribute to climate change.Click here to reveal the answer.
How many did you get? Let us know in the comments!
You can build your topic vocabulary with the groups of words related to the environment, such as non-renewable energy, in this mini-dictionary.